belle isle, RVA

Richmond, VA is the home of Virginia Commonwealth University and the capital of Virginia. It's also a huge hipster central with lots of really great neighborhood restaurants and tons of fun things to do.
One of the coolest things in Richmond, in my opinion, is Belle Isle. Belle Isle is an island which is separated from Richmond by the James River. It was once a home to residents who had a church and school, but became a prison during the Civil War for Union soldiers.
These days, Belle Isle is a gathering place for young people to go lay out, explore and have a few drinks on a sunny day. Lewis and I visited over the weekend and I wanted to share the experience with you! Definitely one of the most interesting places I've been in a while.
Belle Isle!
Highway running through the island. Seriously, that place was FULL of interesting shots. Fascinating place.
Urban structures versus nature. It was such an interesting juxtaposition, unlike any I've ever seen.
Suspension bridge. It hangs below a huge highway that runs across the river and island.  Lewis grabbed my hand right after this photo--think he got a little scared of the height! Haha
Belle Isle was also once a granite quarry which can be seen by the steep, although not very high, cliff faces on the island. This is a quarry pond (whatever that means?).
There are giant rocks throughout the river that people can go lay on and set up camp for the day.  Extreme tanning! Maybe we could make it into a sport? 
View of Richmond from the suspension bridge between the island and the city. 
After such a scary walk on the bridge over the river I needed a drink! Sipping my fave: gin & tonic.
As you can see, I was obviously not prepared for a hot day at Belle Isle, but I can't wait to go back and lay out with friends and a few drinks.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts