black & blue: layering

I don't know about you, but I was not built for winter weather. I'm always cold, never want to leave the comfort and warmth of my bed and my average sadness for the day is at a yearly high.

The only upside for me is the clothing.

Who doesn't love to layer their clothes? You look immediately more fashionable when you add a jacket, scarf, high socks, etc. to a basic outfit. This is a fact of life, people. However, don't forget that this can also go terribly wrong. Think: frumpy, added weight...pretty much a lot of bad things.

So, with that in mind, I put together this outfit (on a day when it was a bit warmer, mind you), and a few tips for making sure your layers keep you looking fashionable, not frumpy:



Photos by Ashley Parrish.

1. Thick & Thin: Mix layers of different weights to get that effortless, casual look when you're layering. I mixed a thicker knit tank top with a very thin chambray shirt. Try a thin tank with a medium weight cardigan and a leather jacket, a long-sleeved knit with a longer, thin tank underneath and a blazer, or a fisherman's sweater with a blazer.

2. Color Palette: This is my personal preference, but don't go insane with the colors. Stick to things within the same color family, go for bright tones only or muted tones only. A black dress with a black jacket and black tights looks sexy and understated. I mixed two blues, one darker and one lighter, adding both interest and depth to the outfit.

3. & The Accessories: The best thing about winter fashion is most definitely scarves. Add a scarf to your outfit, or an oversized beanie. Add fingerless gloves, or high socks underneath your boots. I, being the little jewelry fiend that I am, add lots of bracelets, a couple of necklaces, rings and earrings to add a little extra something to my outfit.

So there it is. Layering is really easy once you get the hang of it, but as you're trying to work it out the tips provided above will definitely be of help. 

And guys, this post applies to you, too! Layering looks ridiculously sexy on men (see every AllSaints men's lookbook ever), and ladies notice it. Spend some time in front of the mirror tonight and try to layer a few things; find out what looks good and what doesn't, and I promise you, it'll be worth the time and effort. You will thank me later.


Comments

  1. Looks great! Waiting for more outfits :)
    Kristina recently posted.. A Very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts